You are not connected. Please login or register

The MOST WONDEROUS "Here's a fact you may not know" thread!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

The Heth

I am beloved of the Guac!
RedCleft! wrote:iratA does not deserve the arguing donkey...

I don't get it

View user profile

rainbowwarrior

The Heth wrote:
RedCleft! wrote:iratA does not deserve the arguing donkey...

I don't get it
He is a cleft.ANd he might had posted in the wrong thread.
There are dolphins that live in the Amazon River that are the color pink.

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
Approximately 100 people are killed by Duckbilled Platypi every year!

Andrew

All Cognacs are brandies, but not all brandies are Cognacs. Bulb To make sense of this, the discovery of brandy went something like this. To make brandy, you need a fermented fruit based beverage, such as wine. You boil off the alcohol and other compounds and condense the vapors and you have Brandy. The story goes on that the town of Cognac had so much of this poor wine, they distilled it, hoping to add water later to bring it back. They stored them in wooden barrels for the time being. After the many years had passed, they opened these wooden barrels to discover a 'heavenly spirit' considered to be the finest spirit in the world, Cognac.

El Our LORD And MASTER, SIR Our LORD And MASTER, SIR FROG wrote:...After some years, the secret drink became common knowledge, and in an attempt to stall Britain's naval dominance, many nations refused to supply lemons, keeping them all for their own navies. Britain replaced the lemon with limes, which (it is believed) is the reason why Brits abroad are sometimes referred to as "Limeys"...
Not only this, the English often kept lime trees aboard their ships. Only adding more of a reason to call them such!

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
During World War 2, the USS Mason was entirely crewed by black sailors - except for the commanding officer!

The Heth

El Our LORD And MASTER, SIR FROG wrote:Approximately 100 people are killed by Duckbilled Platypi every year!

God's doodle....laugh at it all you want, but it will get it's swift and barbed revenge.

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
Famous film roles turned down (according to Microsoft):

Sean Connery turned down the role of Gandalf as he didn't understand the story of Lord of the Rings. He should have asked Heth who did appear in it.

Gwyneth Paltrow avoided the main female role in Titanic. I wish I'd missed it too...

Tom Selleck did NOT wish to be Indiana Jones, playing Magnum PI instead!

Brad Pitt was the first choice for the Bourne films, but didn't think they would do very well.

Daryl Hannah turned down Pretty Woman as it "was demeaning to womankind".

Russell Crowe was offered Wolverine in the various X Men films, but demanded far too much cash. Dougray Scott stepped in, but had to pull out for Mission Impossible 2 commitments.

Matt Damon was first choice for Avatar! Jake Gyllenhaal was next on the list, but preferred to go for Prince of Persia!

Christian Bale had been set to play Patrick Bateman in American Psycho, but Leonardo diCaprio was the studio's choice. DiCaprio was also interested, but decided that his fans would never accept him as a deranged killer. Hence, back to Bale.

Gene Hackman owned the film rights to make Silence of the Lambs, and had planned to play Lecter. However, he decided against it and the role was offered to both Sean Connery and Jeremy Irons before Anthony Hopkins signed on for the role.

John Travolta, Bill Murray and Chevy Chase all turned down Forrest Gump!

Will Smith turned down Neo in The Matrix as he "just didn't see it". The role had actually been written for him.

Cary Grant was the choice by studios and Ian Flemming when it can to casting for James Bond. However, Grant considered that he was just too old!

Al Pacino didn't like the sound of a small film called Star Wars, so turned down the role of Han Solo.

Dustin Hoffman, Jack Nicholson and Warren Beatty all suspected that Godfather - and the role of Michael Corleone - wouldn't be worth their time.

Bruce Willis turned down Sam Wheat in the film Ghost as "playing a ghost would be detrimental to his career". Shockingly, he was married to Demi Moore at the time and went on to ghostly goings on in the appalling Sixth Sense.

Mickey Rourke and Sylvester Stallone both declined Axel F in Beverley Hills Cop. This meant that the script had to be hastily re-written for Eddie Murphy.

What a different film it would have been had Ralph Macchio, the Karate Kid himself, decided to play Marty McFly. The role was then given to Eric Stoltz, who was dropped during filming in favour of Michael J. Fox!

Andrew

If one was to remove all water from a human body, you would be left with $5 in chemicals.

View user profile

theultimatefish

El Our LORD And MASTER, SIR FROG wrote:Approximately 100 people are killed by Duckbilled Platypi every year!

No wonder! Males of the species have poisonous barbs on their feet!

View user profile

The Heth

The animal that has caused half of all human deaths ever is the mosquito. The second most dangerous animal to man? The hippopotamus. With the exception of the mosquito, it is the most deadly animal on earth to mankind...statistically that is.

View user profile
Andrew wrote:If one was to remove all water from a human body, you would be left with $5 in chemicals.

If you're ever really skint, you know what to do!

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
In the 14th Century, children were referred to as "knaves". It gets slightly more complicated:

Boys were called "girl knaves" whereas those who were of the female persuasion were called "gay knaves".

Shocking, but true!

Andrew

President Bush (featured in a lovely photo, below) put a ban on broccoli at the White House and Air Force One, and pretty much wherever he went. He was quoted saying:
I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli.
So why would he do this? Is he simply refusing to eat his greens? He, in fact, has a gene that makes certain compounds in broccoli taste horribly bitter. His father also shares this 'oh, so wonderful' trait.

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
The idea that knights had to be winched onto their horses was made up by author Mark Twain in his book "A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court".

El Frog

Admin
Poor king Charles VI of France suffered from a particularly odd madness (possibly schizophrenia) that meant he believed he was made entirely of glass. He set up many varied precautions around his home to prevent himself from being smashed!

The Heth

/\ I had heard that one before, interesting nonetheless. Wasn't he friends with a plant as well?

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
That's OUR Prince Charles!

wagi

^The one who married a horse?

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
Who was the first president of America? Well, it certainly wasn't Washington! While he was the first president of an independent America, he was actually the 15th President of that country! The first chappy was Mr Peyton Randolph.

And a bonus fact: Esteemed singer, Johnny Cash was once attacked by an ostrich, and only managed to avoid a disemboweling through impressive use of his belt buckle. Moreover, he understood fully that you should always have a "H" in the middle of the name Johnny!

wagi wrote:^The one who married a horse?

That's him!

Andrew

El Our LORD And MASTER, SIR FROG wrote:Who was the first president of America? Well, it certainly wasn't Washington! While he was the first president of an independent America, he was actually the 15th President of that country! The first chappy was Mr Peyton Randolph.
Have you been spying on me Our LORD And MASTER, SIR FROG? I told this to a friend on the same day!

The word barbarian comes from description of what the Greeks thought the Germanic people sounded like they were saying, as they heard "bar bar bar".

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
Contrary to popular belief, Sir Isaac Newton was not hit on the head by an apple (leading to him developing his laws of science). In fact, the image of him sitting under the tree was invented by satirists and that fool, Walt "Third Reich" Disney. Newton himself does not even mention apples in his diaries and notes - he talks only of fruit on a tree. It was a lecturer at the Royal Academy some years later who turned the fruit into an apple

Andrew wrote:
Have you been spying on me Our LORD And MASTER, SIR Our LORD And MASTER, SIR FROG? I told this to a friend on the same day!

There is never a time that I am not spying on you!

Are you sure that your barbarian fact relates to the Greeks? I thought it was the Romans (who considered the Greeks to also be barbarians).

wagi

I though he was claiming that the Germans wrote the Beach Boy's song "Barbara Ann"...

Ah, ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann

Oh Barbara Ann, take my hand
Barbara Ann
You got me rockin' and a-rollin'
Rockin' and a-reelin'
Barbara Ann ba ba
Ba Barbara Ann

Went to a dance, lookin' for romance
Saw Barbara Ann, so I thought I'd take a chance
With Barbara Ann, Barbara Ann
Take my hand
You got me rockin' and a-rollin'
(Oh! Oh!)
Rockin' and a-reelin'
Barbara Ann ba ba

Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann
Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann

Obviously that guttural German accent made it sound like 'bar bar bar' rather that 'ba ba ba'...Red Face

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The practice of shrinking heads, strongly associated with primitive tribes of South America, was also a common custom among the Knights Templar!

Shocked

(Gives Sir Forg "asking for a little head" a whole new meaning... El Frog )

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
I have heard this - but there is a strong possibility that it isn't true, just some nasty propaganda put about by Phillippe IV of France. I have been attempting to research this, but I am getting nowhere. However, here's a fact that you may not have hear(s)d:

The French Court of the 17th Century was in a weak state, and was well known for employing foreign mercenaries. One grandiose group came from Croatia, and were well known for their fashions! They were particularly known for their dramatic, long silken scarves that they tied in knots around their throats.

As is always the case in such situations, the courtiers soon took to following this fashion, and the scarves were called "Cravats" as that is the French word for "Croat"...

...which means that all Croatians come from Tieland!

The Heth

/\ incredibly lame pun there sir Tongue Out

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
Nevertheless, I am proud of it! El Frog Mad Thumbs Up

Andrew

Many know that the Romans rarely used utensils to eat, and concerned eating with your fingers much more proper. They only used spoons when it was a must, such as with soups. Peacock was commonly served for business dinners. The cook who had to prepare this had quite a task ahead of him. He must first pluck the feathers, cook the peacock, then skilfully reinsert the feathers. He would then present it to the house guests as they would admire its beauty for only a brief, few moments, then re-pluck the feathers.

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
Murderer William Burke was hung, and suffered the additional punishment of not receiving a burial. His body was dissected and put on show at the same Edinburgh medical college that he had supplied with fresh bodies. His skeleton is still used to teach future doctors!

His partners in crime, Hare, Hare's wife and Dr Knox - who is known to have bought bodies from many different Ressurection Men (grave robbers and body snatchers) - were never charged. Hare turned Kings Evidence against Burke while it was decided that Knox was too important to be prosecuted.

Although Burke and Hare were responsible for no less than 17 murders, Burke was only charged for one. Despite the well known story, they did not rob graves!

Gravity

El Our LORD And MASTER, SIR FROG wrote:Murderer William Burke was hung,

LIKE THE BLOODY CURTAINS! Mad

View user profile

wagi

I read that on a bathroom wall once but never believed it.

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
I have seen his skeleton!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum