You are not connected. Please login or register

What will you get up to today, and what activities have you already got up to?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

The Heth

I am beloved of the Guac!
Fashions come and go, and I can only assume his boots went and came back in fashion several times since their creation.

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
Shockingly, they look a lot like Doctor Martens!

Gravity

If they don't clank... what's the bloody point?

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
The point is that you can attach sabatons to them. Yes - clanky shoes!

El Frog Mad Thumbs Up

wagi

They were a little stretched for evening entertainment back then, weren't they? Nothing like a clanky shoes to pass the time.

View user profile

Gravity

Hey baybaaay... where you goin' with shoes so clankaaay?

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
I should point out that I don't actually own any clanky shoes on the basis that they are actually shockingly difficult to walk in!

wagi

Hard to sneak up on anyone whist out snaking about I'd imagine...

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
wagi wrote:Hard to sneak up on anyone whist out snaking about I'd imagine...

There is nothing that snaking about doesn't make easier. NOTHING!

Gravity

El Frog wrote:I should point out that I don't actually own any clanky shoes on the basis that they are actually shockingly difficult to walk in!

I am angered that you just flat out lie to everyone like that. Sour

We all know you have a closet chock full of all sorts of clanky shoes.

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
Clanky shoes are also seriously expensive!

Today is a day that will be filled with much housework!

Mojo

Today is a public holiday. Happy birthday queen! How old is she now? 215? Tongue Out

And is also filled with housework! Stupid rabbits poo everywhere! I like to call the the "bomb" squad. They drop and run.

View user profile

wagi

I always think it's funny but I swear that Americans are more fond of Her Majesty than Her Majesty's own subjects are.

Growing up a few kilometers south of the border with Canada, you'd hear some really rude comments made by some Canadians about her and the rest of the royals, but you'd never hear much of the same from anyone south of the border, even with the occasional royal scandal getting nearly as much press coverage.

I'm not knocking people's opinions of the Royal family, just find it interesting the difference.

Since it's 'lot's of love Monday', I'll add these for the Queen queen - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
wagi wrote:I always think it's funny but I swear that Americans are more fond of Her Majesty than Her Majesty's own subjects are.

She isn't overly fond of the British people either! Watch any video clip of her during public engagements and her expression will be similar to that of a person trying to squeeze out a particularly stubborn piece of poo!

She wears gloves so as to avoid touching "us", and the expression on her face is legendary when receiving flowers from children: it is as if they are presenting her with a most pungent Silent But Deadly gas cloud. Why people waste their money giving her things is beyond me!

FURTHERMORE, she has decided that we don't pay her enough! In this time of economic hardship, she has demanded that she receives and additional £6,5000,000 pounds!

wagi

Not living in Britain, and not knowing the Queen personally (I know - shocking isn't it? But the woman's never asked me over for tea or even Sloppy Joe Night...), I shall accept your words on the matter.

This afternoon I stumbled upon all these news stories that supposedly Brits are all up in arms with Obama and getting rather pissy about the "British" in "British Petroleum", or BP as it's been know as for years.

I read rants about British soldiers serving in Afganistan, to reminders of Bhopal, India, to claims that the US is trying to rob poor pensioner's of their monthly checks...what does that have to do with the oil spill? I hadn't heard any of this until just now living in Brazil. What the bloody hell is this all about? I hadn't read or heard anyone blaming any oil spill on Britain anywhere...I'm totally confused!

View user profile

Jeremy

wagi wrote:Not living in Britain, and not knowing the Queen personally (I know - shocking isn't it? But the woman's never asked me over for tea or even Sloppy Joe Night...), I shall accept your words on the matter.

This afternoon I stumbled upon all these news stories that supposedly Brits are all up in arms with Obama and getting rather pissy about the "British" in "British Petroleum", or BP as it's been know as for years.

I read rants about British soldiers serving in Afganistan, to reminders of Bhopal, India, to claims that the US is trying to rob poor pensioner's of their monthly checks...what does that have to do with the oil spill? I hadn't heard any of this until just now living in Brazil. What the bloody hell is this all about? I hadn't read or heard anyone blaming any oil spill on Britain anywhere...I'm totally confused!

When things get suitably bad, America's Government can always find someone to blame, and Mr Petroleum's telephonic communications device was turned off, so they asked Britain to take the blame instead!

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
Obama has conveniently forgotten that a large chunk of BP is owned by a number of people, including many American companies. This way everything can be blamed on the naughty foreigners and people might forget the "jokes" he told about the disaster!

wagi

Still don't get it, and I'm afraid what you said hasn't cleared it up any.

I have yet to hear what it was that supposedly Obama said that ticked everyone off other than to say that BP is responsible for cleaning up...was that it? Well, if it was Exxon I'd imagine they'd be told to clean it up as well. What am I missing? Because honestly I'm not understanding why everyone is so mad in Britain? BP is a multi-national company, just like any other oil company isn't it?

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
It was the emphasis on the word "British" in his rhetoric, and there has been a suggestion that a claim will be made against British taxpayers to pay for it.

However, after seeing this piece of filth that was broadcast on palestinian state television...

...I have been thinking about muslim kid's TV programmes. Non Brits and those under a certain age probably won't get most of these:

Jihaddy & The Magic Torch
Blew Up Peter
Hamas-ters Of The Universe
Grange Kill
Yo Gaza Gaza
Bob The Settlement Builder
Hamas Montana
Fatwa Don't You?
Spongebomb Squarepants

wagi

Well, actually my parents live about 20 miles from a BP refinery in Washington State, and I've bought gas at BP stations, but it wasn't all that long ago in the States that they used British Petroleum as well as the 'BP' name there. I don't think people really think of it as a 'British' company any more than they think of Shell being part of Royal Dutch Shell or Citgo being owned by Venezuela. Many people I know still refer to it as "British Petroleum", just as some people still refer to Nissan cars as being 'Datsun's', a name they haven't used since the mid-1980's.

As for a suggestion that a claim would be made against the British taxpayer...how on earth could that happen? BP is an independent company, not a branch of Her Majesty's government.

I suspect that things are being hyped there just as they get hyped everywhere. Nowhere have I seen the slightest suggestion that anyone other than BP and it's partners are responsible for the decisions and actions they took that caused this.

Now, people who invested in those companies may be impacted, but that's a risk that comes with investing in ANY company. People lost thouands when Enron went down, just as they lost thousands when banks closed recently. Risk is a part of the equation. So far while looking through news reports I haven't seem anything that Obama has said or done that's been over the top or anti-British. If there is such I'd love to hear about it.

Again, I'm not there, nor am I in the States, so much of this isn't filtering out this way!

------------------------------------------------

I've seen that video before...sickening. Sour

But I recognize a great many of your suggested titles!

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
wagi wrote:As for a suggestion that a claim would be made against the British taxpayer...how on earth could that happen? BP is an independent company, not a branch of Her Majesty's government.

I believe it is just sabre rattling to keep the voters happy, possibly because the honeymoon period is over.

wagi wrote:I suspect that things are being hyped there just as they get hyped everywhere.

Ditto. Rupert Murdock (or however the freak's name is spelled) is having a field day. Not only does he control the press here, but now he controls the government. Expect to see many, many more similar stories...

wagi wrote:Now, people who invested in those companies may be impacted, but that's a risk that comes with investing in ANY company. People lost thouands when Enron went down, just as they lost thousands when banks closed recently. Risk is a part of the equation.

The problem is that none of the 1000 richest people in this country lost a penny during the economic disaster. In fact, all of them made money. I would suggest that the same has happened in many other countries too.

wagi wrote: So far while looking through news reports I haven't seem anything that Obama has said or done that's been over the top or anti-British. If there is such I'd love to hear about it.

I think it is the fact that he never calls the company "BP". Watching videos on this, he tends to say things like "the oil slick caused by BRITISH petrolium" and this stressing on "British" is causing feelings that he is blaming us! As I understand it, people over there are also still rather angry about him making jokes about the oil slick, so he needs to divert the attention.

wagi wrote:I've seen that video before...sickening. Sour

But I recognize a great many of your suggested titles!

What makes me really angry is that while we as a country are facing something in the region of £6 billion in public service cuts (including education and hospital care) along with probable tax rises, our new prime minister has just announced that we will be sending an additional £12 million on top of the money we already send to support that government! I would love to know where that money is coming from!

Mojo

The funny thing is that BP is trying to defend themselves when they have litarally done nothing at all! They say but don't do. I don't know why Brazil is so unknown about it but here in Austrlia its 99% all of the Oil spill. "Worst ever oil spill" "Worst diaster" Is all you hear here.

Well, Just got back from soccer training. Punched in the arm, kicked in the shin, grabbed in the.... well, lets just say the the "down under". Get it? Haha...Im so not funny! Tongue Out

Lets just hope Obama knows what he is talking about, and not like W. Bush! El Frog

View user profile

wagi

Oh, the coverage of the spill is just as extensive here in Brazil as anywhere, it was just the the reaction in Britain that hasn't been covered much here, when I stumbled across it I was surprised as I hadn't heard much about it. I saw some newspaper (tabloid) front pages on-line and they were a bit over the top. As Forg said, saber rattling and Murdock. After the previous government was seen as being too cozy with America (and in my opinion it was, Blair never seemed to question anything Bush said or did...), and it's no secret that Murdock doesn't understand 'impartial journalism'.

I've never came across what Obama was supposed to have said when 'joking' about the spill, so I'm still looking. However there is a vocal share of the population in the States who are angry just because the man even exists, funny thing is that most of the same ones were screeching "drill baby, drill" just before this accident happened.

I'm sure there's plenty of blame to be spread around to all sides.

View user profile
I think it's unfair to say that BP aren't doing anything. They are catching as much as they can, and it's really not a very easy situation to solve at all. Considering how it's their own oil being wasted, I'm sure they are trying as hard as they can.

View user profile

wagi

I agree. They seem to be doing everything they can while being beset by a series of unfortunate incidences. One can quibble about what happened before the spill started later.

View user profile

ImagineerEthan

exams all next week, looks like i need to revise My shoes tremble with delight!

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
I am enraged!

This evening I received a phonecall from the client who has hired us for an event this Saturday. He has decided to cancel the event even though he knows we have put a lot of effort into making items specifically for the banquet he had planned.

I cannot write more on this at the moment because I am so angry!

Gravity

Would you have been clanky at this event?

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
I would have been extremely clanky for several hours.

Get.Creative

I am extremely tired. I have spent all weekend rasing money for charity and my badminton club by taking part in a 24 hour badminton marathon. I was awake from 8AM saturday, till about 10 this morning. The marathon was from 9 AM saturday - 9 AM sunday. I have just woken up,and i can barely move. But it was great fun!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum