You are not connected. Please login or register

The UK General Election: Thoughts and Opinions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jeremy

I am beloved of the Guac!
Since we here at CoG are allowed to talk about religion and politics, here is the official Crevice Speculation thread on the upcoming general election.

Labour and the Conservatives have released their manifestos, and the Liberal Democrats released theirs today. All parties are promising a change to the way our country is run, and plan to lead the UK out of the recession!

The Labour Manifesto promised "a future fair for all", changes would be made to the way Labour run the country, aiming to bring Britain out of the recession and into the 21st Century.

The Conservative Manifesto concentrated on change. They believe that voters have had enough of Labour, claiming that their lies and poor leadership has brought Britain to where it is today, and that a new government is needed to take Britain forwards

The Lib Dem manifesto promised fairness for all, criticising the Tories' favouritism of the upper classes, and Labour's past failings.

So who do you think will win? The Conservatives are currently ahead, by not by enough to gain a majority!

Will Gordon Brown's mistakes be enough to swing the voters away from Labour for the first time in 13 years?

Discuss! Thumbs Up

Last edited by Jeremy on Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

View user profile
Jeremy wrote:Labour and the Conservatives have released their manifestos, and the Liberal Democrats plan to do so either today or tomorrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8618779.stm

MadThumbs Up

Overall, I am quite impressed with the Liberal Democrats. I must say, The Conservatives' approach is very irritating, simply pointing out Labour's mistakes is the wrong way to go about it. Can't they focus on what they want to do rather than saying how crap Gordon is?

Plus, David Cameron is a pillock who constantly tries to relate to normal people with his attention-seeking bike riding, pretending to like the music that we like etc.

I would like to add that I met a member of the Monster Raving Loony Party this afternoon... who was dressed as a banana...

View user profile

Jeremy

I too approve of the Liberal Democrats' approach.

Vince Cable certainly seems like the best man for Chancellor of the Exchequer, though I'm unsure how Nick Clegg would fare as PM.

View user profile
Jeremy wrote:Vince Cable certainly seems like the best man for Chancellor of the Exchequer, though I'm unsure how Nick Clegg would fare as PM.

I agree. Anyone is better than David Cameron though, just look at the bloke:

He tries so hard to make it seem as if he's 'one of us'. The Prime Minister shouldn't be 'one of us' though!

View user profile

wagi

Whoever you choose just make sure to claim his birth certificate isn't around to prove that he wasn't born in Scotland or some other foreign country, then form a rabble rousing group of malcontents called the Douche Bag Party and protest loudly and threaten to form armed militias to resist whatever it is that some radio personality tells you to dislike, then rant and rave at anything and everything the new PM says or does even if he actually didn't say or do it.

It's works in the States...

View user profile
wagi wrote:Whoever you choose just make sure to claim his birth certificate isn't around to prove that he wasn't born in Scotland or some other foreign country

You are allowed to be from Scotland if you're the Prime Minister, our current one is. It's called the UK elections Tongue Out

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
The Liberals (and the greens et al) make me laugh. Because they know they will never have to form an actual government, they make outrageous claims and statements in their propaganda. I expect to see them offering such things as "FREE GIRAFFE FOR EVERY FAMILY" next week!

My MP is Liberal, and he spends an inordinate amount of cash telling us to vote for him. His main complaint is that there aren't enough doctors in the NHS. His argument loses some steam however. You see, he gave up being an NHS doctor to become an MP!

You can be sure of one thing: if there is a camera crew nearby, he is guaranteed to be available to comment; the man loves to be seen!

As for that Cameron twonk, well, he already has a history in government. He was an advisor to John Major, and was responsible for drafting at least one law with so many loopholes in it that criminals regularly walked away from court laughing because of it!

Let us not forget also that he is a compulsive liar (and slimy too - look at that skin!). He said numerous times after taking control of the Opposition that he "would do away with 'Ya-Boo politics'". However, he couldn't even make it beyond the first Primeminister's Questions. His first statement when standing up was a stream of insults!

wagi

Aidan wrote:
wagi wrote:Whoever you choose just make sure to claim his birth certificate isn't around to prove that he wasn't born in Scotland or some other foreign country

You are allowed to be from Scotland if you're the Prime Minister, our current one is. It's called the UK elections Tongue Out

I know, but did you think I'd post something and ruin the illusion that Americans know nothing outside their borders? Tongue Out

View user profile

Adam

I enjoyed the debate tonight! General consensus appears to be the Nick Clegg came out on top, I am pleased! MadThumbs Up

View user profile
It interests me that this is the first time Gordon Brown would actually be elected into power, he like got a very long trial period and as a whole it just didn't go very well. So why people would think that he would change everything just be staying in power boggles me.

View user profile
It doesn't make sense to me that Labour are making all these promises, they've had 13 years to do these things but haven't done them!

View user profile

wagi

While this was meant for the States, it might also work well fro Britian, I know it certainly does for Brazil...

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
I wish the parents of a number of politicians had been using one...

Jeremy

I wish to use this post to guide a few of you away from a general anti-politics vibe and spark some relevant discussion.

What do you think of Cameron's 'power to the people' policy?

The local community can choose to change the way that government funded services are run, eg. Hospitals and Schools, if they are unhappy with the current operation.

Personally I think it is a very good idea! Cameron must have hired a new advisor with no background in politics!

View user profile
It just comes across to me as 'We can't be bothered or get it right, piss off and do it yourself!'.

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
Cameron has already been in power once; he was an advisor to John "Tedious" Major and was responsible for drafting a law regarding the sale of videos to underage viewers. Shockingly, noone was successfully prosecuted during that four year period as he left a glaring and very obvious loophole which every defendant's lawyer used to get the charges dismissed.

Also, I can remember fully what it was like under Thatcher's reign of terror. Let us hope they never get in again, otherwise the few resources the country has left will be sold to private companies in exchange for seats on the board. Don't think that will happen? Just look at what they have already done: gas, electricity and water all sold off...

baz6174

Lets face facts, the Scottish twonk has buggered up his trial period, does he seriously think anyone will vote for him? Epic Fail. I hate to say it, but it looks like the torys will get power again (God forbid), in England anyway. Those of us north of the border will probably vote for complete devolution if that happens. Shame really, it was nice being part of the UK. Ah well Buh-bye England. I will stay here with my free water, free education, free health care and toll-free bridges.

Disclaimer: This post may or may not be sarcastic, but you can bet that most of it is nonsense.

View user profile

Jeremy

I think a Conservative-Lib Dem coalition is possibly the best thing that could happen in this election.

View user profile

baz6174

Jeremy wrote:I think a Conservative-Lib Dem coalition is possibly the best thing that could happen in this election.

This is probably the answer to the countries problems. Having a coalition parliament up here has worked wonders for Scotland, with one party proposing something they have to get the opposing party to agree or it's shot down in flames. When the two parties agree on something, you know it has to be better than what we have now. Such a pity you can't vote for the two parties you want to share power, it makes First Minister's question time a lot more fun too!

View user profile

wagi

In the States and on International news here they seem to be making quite the fuss about Brown's overheard comments about that woman being a 'bigot'...several claim that this has cost him the election. How's it viewed there?

View user profile

baz6174

wagi wrote:In the States and on International news here they seem to be making quite the fuss about Brown's overheard comments about that woman being a 'bigot'...several claim that this has cost him the election. How's it viewed there?

He has apologised on radio, and when he found out the media were causing a fuss about it, he went back to the woman's house, spent 45 minutes grovelling and apologising.(How long does it take to Apologise?)
The newspapers front pages are now dominated by the news, headlines include "A hypocrite who shames Britain" and "Brown 'penitent' after bigot gaffe."

I think it's safe to say this won't do him or the Labour party any favours, he's already lost one Labour supporter. I reckon this has pretty much ended his election campaign and any hope he had of being elected Prime Minister. Time will tell.

View user profile

Jeremy

I thin Brown's hopes were finished long before this.

He's just shooting holes into a sinking boat.

View user profile

Jeremy

So the results are in, and everything is still as inconclusive as it was before the election!

Will the Lib Dems join a coalition? Who with? Will Brown now resign? (under UK political law he is not required to resign in the case of a hung parliament)

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
Despite the fact that the first attempt at forming a coalition must be from the current government, Clegg (who has been acting very smug) has suggested that he is interested in only talking with the tories.

I am filled with dread for the future.

baz6174

El Frog wrote: I am filled with dread for the future.

I am saddened to admit I agree with you. I never thought that the Lib Dem's would side with the Tory's, surely GB isn't hated that much? This is a sad time for British politics, I really can't see how a coalition will work between them, surely they will disagree on policy too often?

Last edited by baz6174 on Sat May 08, 2010 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling.)

View user profile

El Frog

Admin
I suspect that Clegg knows that if he sides with Labour, he would still need to share power with other parties - and he wants the "if you don't do what I want, we're pulling out" power all to himself.

Regardless, he isn't going to get what he wants and there will be another election called, probably within the next year...

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum