You are not connected. Please login or register

The Crevice of Guac's RCT3 Best Pictures Thread

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Jeremy

I am beloved of the Guac!
It was always going to pop up, so here it is! Post your BEST pictures here. By best, we here at CoG mean best. As such, you're kindly requested to stick to 1 picture per post, and really no more than 2 per day.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Now here is some gratuitous pictury!

View user profile

ImagineerTom

Certainly a great picture, Jon!

View user profile http://imagineertom.webs.com

baz6174

A shot from my new park.

View user profile

wagi

From a current project...

View user profile

ImagineerTom

Very nice, I've always particularly enjoyed water-side parks. This one seems very tranquil, Wagi.

There's some really nice pictures here!

Jermery- That rock work is very interesting. As long as there aren't any rocks poking through the track, I'll allow it!

Tom- I enjoyed the main thread for that track. Perhaps try some flanges on the supports to make them look a little more realistic?

Baz- Another project! Great architecture and a theme rarely attempted in RCT3. I always like your originality.

Wagi- There is no exaggeration when I say this, that is the best picture from the game I have seen for quite a while. It's obvious that you put a lot of effort into your designs and it pays off. That is so realistic, it's crazy!

Just to add to the thread, I will post one of my own pictures. Since I haven't built anything in the game properly for quite a while, it'll have to be an old one but it's one of my favourites:

View user profile

ImagineerTom

As old as that picture may be, it's quality stays. Smile Very nice theming on that coaster, Jonny.

theultimatefish

Wow, it pleases me to see that some veterans now do something with RCT3 again!

Looks very nice Wagi! Your building style really fits the overall theme and I like the trees around it. It looks kind of empty on the waterside though. Maybe some boats around it would look nice? I don't know of any set that contains sail boats or something like that however. the ingame rowing boats look good enough, but the problem is that you can see the track, and to turn it off, you'd have to turn off any other track in the park as well...

To Jonny, I never saw any of your projects, and this comes as quite a surprise as I had expected you to be less good at the game, never having seen any of your work before. It is full of nice details and the rocks are well placed, the curve on the right looks a bit unsupported though, but since you are probably not working on it anymore, I guess I'll have to live with that. Tongue Out

View user profile

Jeremy

Jonathan wrote:There's some really nice pictures here!

Jermery- That rock work is very interesting. As long as there aren't any rocks poking through the track, I'll allow it!

No rocks would dare do so! Red FaceThumbs Up

Wagi, are those textured walls I spy on that building there?
Your own CS, or another set? It's a nice texture!

View user profile

evenstar

Frog thinks I am great, so I am!
I haven't done anything in-game in ages, but I always liked this picture:

View user profile

wagi

I love that picture! The castle on the hill is just fantastic.

theultimatefish - the water actually represents the River Thames. This park has a really specific theme (I'll start a thread about it soon) and time period - the early 1900's during the Edwardian period. While it's not based on a real park, it's based loosely on the plans for a real theme park that was never built. I will be adding some things on the water, but will likely need to make them since it's such a specific thing.

Just as an FYI, here's a screen of the other side of the river directly across from the first screen. Yeah, it's a version of the Palace of Westminister (well - as close as gringo who's never been to London can make it anyways...) along with a glimpse at a pub, and a small version of the Tower Bridge that crosses the Thames in the distance. Once I explain the theme later hopefully it all will make sense.

It's still a WIP and a few things have changed from that pic already, textures have been improved and a lot more detail remains to be added...(and sorry, this certainly isn't a 'Best" screen, but I'll post it anyways as we're talking about it.

Jeremy - Yep, that's CS I made. The walls on the tall building have extruded details added. Also the roof, the white building's walls just to the left of the tall building, the awnings, light fixtures and banners, and if you squint just right you can make out a horse and cart are mine. The dormers on the roof are by someone else and I don't think they are released as of yet. All of which pales compared to the impact Ol_Spice's large tree give I think.

Jomehanny - always knew you were talented, so I'm not surprised by your screenshot - I expected nothing less!

View user profile

baz6174

You know Wagi, I think I know which park this is going to be. I really hope not because I found the plans for a park that was designed and never built just yesterday, and was going to use it for my next project. How to ask if I am right without revealing anything? If I said it's a park based on Peter, thought up by Michael, would I be right? If so, I will scrap my plans for that park and find another idea. As for your Palace of Westminster, it's amazingly close to the real thing, I recognised it instantly. I hope I am right, and you are making that park. You will do a much better job of it than I would, I never did get to grips with 3D modelling. (Jomehanny will no doubt agree with me.) Either way I look forward to seeing more of this, it looks to be an interesting project.

View user profile

wagi

No need to ever give up on a project just because someone else is maybe doing something similar.

Your guess is correct Wink, but I'm not doing an exact recreation of the plans, just basing it loosely on them, and it's bigger...as is usually par for the course for me. I'm breaking it up into two benches - LondonTowne and the Hotel along with support areas like parking on one bench, the rest (with most of the real rides) on the other. The front bench is nearly done...next comes the HARD one in back.

Don't let what someone else is doing dictate what YOU want to do. Certainly wouldn't bother me as I'm not one of those people who get's all in a huff if a rock in someone's park looks just like the rock in my park...it's silly. I do what appeals to me and so should you. Besides, for all I know someone else is building something based on the same idea! Tongue Out

View user profile

baz6174

I don't mind giving up on this as a park, I may use a couple of the ride ideas tho. I was looking to use the plans for a park that will realistically not be for a year at least, having the resort I am working on right now, adding to that "Stargate: Ride the Universe" (Name was chosen before the new series!)that needs finishing, and the ill fated Alton Towers re-creation that I will start for the sixth time at some point over the summer. So I'm reasonably busy on the RCT front.

View user profile

Jeremy

I must say, Wagi, I'm very impressed!

I never saw any of your work at iratA, but now I wish that I had! I never realised what an active creator you were!

View user profile

baz6174

While going through my back up discs of RCT thingys, I found this park from a couple of years ago that I built with another member of this forum.(It's up to him if he wants to own up!)

This park has such great delights as The Great British Coastermatic Contraption and Little Britain: The Ride.

Last edited by baz6174 on Sat May 22, 2010 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Punctuation)

View user profile

wagi

I wonder who that Mystery person was? confused

I actually quite like that baz, have any other screens?

Thank you Jeremy, but I only posted one thread about a version of DisneySea I did almost four years ago at iratA. That and two screenshots from my Luna Park in the Best Pic thread over there which I've worked on for two years and done four completely different benches (and it's STILL not done...).

This current park is the only other one I've shown in public, and so far only here and at one private venue, other than an RCT3 Vacation Park winner Sambo and I did over at rct2.com years ago.

Luna Park's taken so long because I've had terrible problems with the size of it (it recreates the Luna Park from the early 1900's on Coney Island), so cut it in half and have re-done that several times. It has four complete large new sets of CS I made just for it, which takes time, plus I also made CS for a couple other people's parks.

I don't usually post WIP anyways, for one thing I detest the crap "Amazing!!!111!!!" posts because that's what they say to everyone, I have little or no patience with people demanding that I give them the CS I made that very minute for them to use (one reason why I don't show CS until I'm done either), and smug self-important "experts" telling me that "something doesn't 'work for them'" which really grind my gears. So I wait until I can show the finished project and since I work on them for years that means they are few and far between! But I do appreciate your kind words.

And here's a screen from Luna Park to get this thread back on track...

View user profile
Evenstarfish- I love that! The flowers just add so much colour to what would otherwise be a rather dull area.

Wagi (Big Ben picture)- For someone who has never been to London, that is quite accurate! I will admit, some of the colours are a little funny. The tower on the left, for example, the windows there are a different colour to the rest of the building. If you got all of those matching, I think it would make a huge difference. That's just a nitpick though, my jaw actually dropped when I scrolled down to the picture!

Baz- Whoever worked on that park with you, they must have been bloody good! Tongue Out Wasn't it Coinich who made the lighthouse or was it you? We did that park years ago so I can't remember who did what. I can't remember what I did, as a matter of fact! Ha ha

Wagi (Luna Park picture)- For some reason, that reminds me of the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. There's such a lot of detail, I can't fault it in any way. Very, very good work!

View user profile

ImagineerTom

Turned my graphics card all the way for this one.

wagi

View user profile

Gravity

^ Stunning, wagi! Simply stunning. That makes me wanna open the game again.

View user profile

The Heth

Wagi's pics could convince anyone to open up the game again!

View user profile

wagi

Ahhh, thanks guys! The front half of the park is about done except for a few details (this is just a small section of it), then it's on to the back!

View user profile

ImagineerEthan

wagi, i love all that custom scenery Tongue Out, but it looks like their's some texture issues on the buildings apart from that i love your park! btw, will there be any coasters?

View user profile

wagi

All the coasters and hardcore rides will be located at the back of the park where there's specific areas themed to them. The front of the park is supposed to be completely different from the back and is based around London in the early 1900's, while the rest is...well it definitely isn't anywhere near London, that's for sure! This front half does have attractions - there's a Haunted Mansion and a few flat rides, even an "I-glide" that is used as a way to transition from the front of the park to the back.

Were the 'texture issues' you mentioned the brighter buildings towards the left in the first screen just above, or the pub roof at lower left in the same screen? Those have been remade, but good eye! Thumbs Up

View user profile

ImagineerEthan

it's not that but it's kinda the walls, the look like their just one big billbord if you know what i'm saying? i don't have any problems with the actual buildings themselves as they look good but it looks as if you can easily tell the walls haven't be made with pre-realsed custom scenery Wink does that make any scense?

View user profile

wagi

Ah, gotcha now - makes perfect sense!

Yep, some of the walls were flat texures originally, many have had areas extruded and such to make them more 3D as I went along. Unfortunately, when it comes down to a wall in a spot that's not always visible that has only two faces and one that's more 3D-ish that has over a thousand, the one with only two faces is going to win...EXCEPT where the extra faces make an impact worth that difference.

There are some walls where I felt that difference was worth it, others it's just not, but I saved enough using the walls with small face counts to balance out with the areas where I used those with more.

In the first screen above, the walls of the Palace of Westminister have parts extruded, you can see the edges a bit although it looks much better up close and in-game, to the left there's a yellowish wall and a red wall that were not (well, the yellow one is now 3D since that screen was taken, the red one remains flat with trim added to it).

The walls of the Palace are in view all the time and worth the use of more faces, the red walls to the side aren't really visible at peep level anyways and aren't all that visible from the rest of the park normally, so I will continue to use flat walls there.

The Palace walls being ornate Gothic will never have the same look as if they were built bit-by-bit, the poly count would fly through the roof, but I did add just enough to break up the surface and add some depth.

There's nothing wrong with building something piece-by-piece from many individual parts, this park has many such buildings, but it also wastes an enormous number of polys with hidden faces that aren't even viewable for instance, but even building on two benches with a decent computer I still have to pick and choose what I use so that I can model what I want. The first bench is just now starting to show a bit of lag when full of peeps.

There's actually a few buildings in this park where I modeled the ENTIRE building as one object with textures applied to help keep face count down. On the flip side that also allows me enough wiggle room to really add in a lot of detail so that you don't notice the occasional flat wall once in awhile. It's all a trade-off.

That's a long winded explanation, but at least I hope it explains my thinking behind it!

Thanks Ethan! Thumbs Up

View user profile
The only thing I would say is the Clock Tower is dramatically oversized. It's about 60% smaller in person.

View user profile

ImagineerEthan

thanks for that wagi! didn't expect it to be too big though, anyways i see what you mean by making the buildings as one whole in sketchup or whatever program you use as it woould lower the lag a bit

View user profile

wagi

I agree about the Tower, it is too big compared to the rest, but eeZee did such a nice job on it and scaling everything else up to match it would have looked worse I think. The same with the Tower bridge, I used a Warehouse model and scaled it to just fit across the water. I think some exaggeration you can get away with as long as you aren't trying to replicate something exactly, which I'm not, I just want something that has the flavor of the real thing.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum